Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Commissioner of Police in Imo, Chris Ezike, said he had recommended posthumous promotion for two police officers who died while repelling robbery attack on a branch of Zenith Bank in Imo State.
Mr. Ezike told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Owerri that another policeman, Otu Attang, who survived the Feb. 22, 2017 attack, would also be promoted with the deceased officers, Messrs Chukwudi Iboko and Sunday Agbo.
Four armed men on that day, trailed a man to the bank in Owerri, and in the process, attacked police officers attached to the place.
In the gun battle, the policemen killed one of the robbers identified as Ikechukwu Okpara, but lost Messrs Iboko and Agbo.
Mr. Ezike said the recommendation followed the huge sacrifice the three officers made to save the bank and its customers.
“The officers were gallant and showed serious commitment during the robbery attack. Nigeria Police Force cannot abandon them,” he said.
The commissioner also said the management of the bank had undertaken to offer scholarship to the children of the deceased officers.
He said three of the suspected armed robbers, Justice Ogbonna, Abiye Charles and Okechukwu Nwanegbo, who attacked the bank, had been arrested, adding that different types of arms were recovered from them.
- Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media after Twitter labelled two of his tweets “unsubstantiated”
- Breaking: In Edo State, Ize-Iyamu collects APC governorship form, and Governor Obaseki speaks
- “We dried our tears” – 17-year-old girl who escaped Boko Haram after being abducted and held in captivity for four years described life in the Sambisa forest
- Over 2000 critically endangered vultures dead through deliberate pesticide poisoning
- National Assembly To Meet On Thursday On 2020 Revised Budget
- Cobhams Asuquo has been appointed UNICEF national ambassador
- IMF advises banks to suspend dividend payment
- MD of NDDC Says The Commission’s 2019 budget padded with over 500 fake projects
- Presidency deny reports of cancelled memo signed off by the late Abba Kyari
- Governors to meet over financial autonomy for judiciary & legislature