Estimated Reading Time: <1
Tragedy struck in the ancient city of Kano on Monday when a newly wedded woman set her husband and herself ablaze in Kano over alleged infidelity.
The woman was said to have lit a petrol keg in their No 54 Middle Road residence in the Sabon Gari area of the city, which exploded, engulfing herself and the husband.
The husband, who did not die on the spot, was rushed to a nearby hospital for medical attention where later died, after suffering severe burns from the fire.
It was learnt that the woman, accused her husband of infidelity, shortly after she heard a conversation of her husband with an unidentified lady over the telephone.
She reportedly got angry and lit a keg of petrol within reach, which eventually exploded and engulfed their home at about 12am on Tuesday.
An eyewitness disclosed to our correspondent that the wife, who was burnt beyond recognition, died at the scene of the incident, while her husband also died at an undisclosed hospital, where he was rushed to after receiving first aid at Fortress Hospital at Sarki Yaki within the metropolis.
However, another eyewitness, Mr. Emmanuel Okorie, who simply identified the late husband as Emeka, disclosing that the couple hailed from Anambra State.
He said the late couple got married about five weeks ago.
He said the woman whose pregnancy should be about seven-months-old, joined the husband in Kano three weeks later.
Okorie, who could not establish, whether it was the alleged telephone conversation that led to the unresolved dispute, however, told our correspondent that Emeka confided in him that his mother imposed the woman on him.
When contacted, spokesperson for the Kano State Police Command, DSP Musa Magaji Majiya, said crack detectives from the Command had commenced an investigation to unravel the cause of the dispute.
Meanwhile, policemen from Nomansland Division had since deposited the remains of the couple at an undisclosed mortuary.
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit
- Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association tests positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa
- “And just like that, my life has changed forever” – Chimamanda Adichie pens emotional tribute in honour of her late father
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19