Estimated Reading Time: <1
The cargo section of a passenger train travelling from Lagos to Kano on Saturday got detached from the main body and later derailed in Osogbo, Osun state.
Mechanical fault was suspected.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt that the three wagons attached to the end of the passenger train got detached from the rest of the coaches at Ifon area of Osun at about 1:45am.
The pilotless wagons lumbered to the interchange at the terminus around Old Garage area in Osogbo where the wheels got off the track and the wagons tumbled.
A witness, Mr Biodun Opatoyinbi told NAN that only one Mr Yakubu popularly called Baba Ibeji, a train conductor was in the cargo area. He was unhurt.
Opatoyinbo said, the train driver was later stopped at Offa in Kwara State.
He said a man who attempted to offload the goods in the stranded wagons has been arrested and detained by the Nigerian Railway corporation policemen .
Mrs Iyabo Ogundele also told NAN that the train conductor had been taken to the hospital for proper medical checkup.
Ogundele said a building close to the rail track at the interchange terminal was also damaged.
An official of the NRC from Ibadan declined comments when approached.
The Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps , Mr Babawale Afolabi, told NAN that NSCDC officers were keeping watch over the three wagons.
- Buhari has done nothing other than make enemies for the herders – Miyetti Allah says in call for restructuring
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19