Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nigerian troops after the encounter with Boko Haram terrorists (File photo)Troops of ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’ have gallantly fought their way through an ambush by Boko-Haram insurgents along Ajiri-Dikwa road in Borno, Lt.-Col. Kingsley Samuel, Deputy Director, Army Public Relations of the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, stated this in a statement on Friday in Maiduguri.
Samuel said that the incident occurred on Thursday evening.
“Elements of troops affected encountered the ambush while conducting routine rotation of troops last night.
” The gallant troops fought their way through, killing many of the terrorists,” he said.
Samuel however confirmed that 19 soldiers were injured during the incident.
“Unfortunately, seven soldiers paid the supreme price in the incident, while 19 soldiers sustained various degree of injuries.
“The soldiers who sustained injuries during the fierce encounter have been evacuated and are currently receiving treatment at Military Hospital in Maiduguri,
“The troops recovered an AK-47 rifle and ammunition from the insurgents.
“Additional troops have been mobilised and are still on aggressive pursuit of the fleeing Boko Haram terrorists,” he said.
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship
- Patrick Vieira has been sacked as coach of Nice