Estimated Reading Time: <1
No fewer than 100 residential buildings were on Saturday destroyed in some towns in Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti state by rainstorm.
The incident which residents said began at about 4p.m., affected towns such as Odo Oro, Temidire,Oke Ijebu and Aiyedun, all in Ikole LGA.
The News Agency of Nigeria,(NAN) reports that the first rain of the year, which lasted for only 40 minutes, also ravaged farmlands, destroying crops and other economic trees.
Aside the houses, other property destroyed by the rainstorm included schools and church buildings.
A branch of Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) Odo-Oro Ekiti and a car packed under the tree in the town were particularly badly damaged by the incident.
Some of the victims, who managed to speak with NAN on the rainstorm, appealed to both the state and local government to come to their aid.
- House of Reps endorse Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, for World Trade Organisation DG
- Nigerian Army has approved new postings and appointments of 37 generals and five colonels
- FG Kicks off 774,000 Jobs programme suspended by the national assembly
- Senate passes bill prescribing life imprisonment for kidnappers – Removes gender restrictions, says men or women can be raped
- Governor Okowa, wife, daughter test negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Bayelsa Governor Douye Diri wins at Supreme Court against Timi Alaibe
- Nigerian Government scrambles for oxygen as COVID-19 deaths rise
- Supreme Court affirms virtual court hearing
- Lagos asks striking doctors to resume work
- Nigeria’s Dapo Olorunyomi, honoured with the International Press Freedom award