Estimated Reading Time: <1
Heavily armed policemen Monday stormed the Aminu Kano Centre for Democratic Research and Training Mambayya House Kano and disrupted an event organized by Kwankwasiyya Foundation, Daily Trust can report.
The police dispersed members of the Kwankwasiyya and sealed off the venue, one of the Kwankwasiyya’s fans, Alhaji Sanusi Surajo Kwankwaso, told Daily Trust.
Kwankwaso said they were forced to shifted the event to Lugard House, a house owned by Senator Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso, the founder and leader of the movement.
He explained that the event was organised to honor some of the students sponsored by Kwankwaso-led government to study abroad under the 2011/2015 education programme.
Also, commenting on the development, the factional Chairman of All Progressive Congress (APC) in the state, Alhaji Umar Haruna Doguwa, said the ban was constitutional and that they will not accept it any more.
“There is a Supreme Court judgment which clarified the issue of seeking permission from police before embarking on any public meeting, so police had no right to stop us from exercising our right. We are Nigerians and citizens of Kano, therefore we should be allowed to exercise our civic right because we are entitled to freedom of public gathering,
I want categorically state here that no amount of intimidation on the part of police will deter us from exercising our civic rights as Nigerians.
Kwankwasiyya is our ideology and nobody can force us to drop it. So whoever think he can use power to force us drop this ideology that person no matter how highly place he attained should just forget it because he will not succeed,” he said.
He noted that being members of the APC, their aim was to promote the political ideologies of President Muhammadu Buhari and the APC and whoever attempts to block their way, they would be left with no option than to fight back.
All efforts to reach the Police Public Relation Officer, DSP Magaji Musa Majia proved abortive, as all his mobile phone lines were switched off at the time of filing this report.
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Emerges WTO DG
- Just In: Civil defence sacks officer for looting COVID-19 palliatives
- WAEC announces new date to release result
- Media sanction over #EndSARS coverage is draconian – Group writes NBC DG
- Just In: Amnesty release a new timeline investigating the Toll Gate massacre #EndSARS
- I will sign executive order to recover looted property – Adamawa Governor
- Lagos State Government says there’s nothing wrong in asking the military to intervene
- I was detained for 47 days by SARS; man narrates as Judicial panel of inquiry begins sitting in Lagos
- Nigerian Army says Lagos state government invited it to intervene in #EndSARS protest
- Nigeria declares public holiday for Eid-El-Maulud Celebration