Estimated Reading Time: <1
Manchester City breathed fresh life into their Premier League title challenge as they came from behind to secure a crucial 2-1 win over Arsenal.
Pep Guardiola’s side recovered from Theo Walcott’s early opener as second half goals from Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling delivered the knockout blows in a heavyweight clash at Eastlands.
City’s second win in five days lifted them into second place and closed the gap on leaders Chelsea to seven points ahead of the busy Christmas period.
Just days after squandering the lead in a late loss at Everton, Arsenal’s second successive defeat leaves the fourth placed Gunners languishing nine points behind Chelsea as their 14-match unbeaten run suddenly becomes a distant memory.
Guardiola’s latest stab at finding the right formula in City’s creaky defence saw the Spaniard again leave out John Stones and deploy full-back Aleksandar Kolarov alongside Nicolas Otamendi.
But it took Arsenal only five minutes to expose City’s soft centre as Alexis Sanchez caressed a fine pass behind Otamendi to Walcott, who dispatched a cool finish past Claudio Bravo from close-range.
Showing impressive composure, Guardiola’s team monopolised possession after that and Sterling almost equalised when he headed just wide from Kevin de Bruyne’s cross.
City’s territorial dominance was rewarded in the 47th minute when David Silva’s pass picked out Leroy Sane and the German winger beat the offside trap to slot home.
Unable to stem the tide, Arsenal needed a series of saves from Petr Cech to keep them level, but the Gunners defence was finally breached again in the 71st minute when England forward Sterling beat Cech at his near post.
- “Gambari was an Abacha man” – Wole Soyinka says Buhari’s Chief of Staff is part of the structure
- Nigeria records 328 new cases of COVID-19, total number infections now 11, 844
- Miyetti Allah President has said Fulani’s own Nigeria and will rule forever
- Breaking: NNPC raises alarm over contaminated diesel offered across Nigeria
- Going Green; Nigeria and sustainable architecture
- Gov Yahaya Bello lifts lockdown in Kabba-Bunu, insists Kogi Is COVID-19 free
- Nigerians should emulate President Buhari – Presidency
- Atiku commends removal of fuel subsidy, laments time wasted
- Buhari extends NCC boss, Danbatta’s tenure
- Police arrest Abuja lawyer defending women in a sexual assault case amidst national protest against sexual violence