Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung, on Friday refuted media reports quoting him as saying that the Federal Government was not anticipating the victory of the Super Falcons.
The Super Falcons won the just concluded African Women’s Cup of Nations (AWCON) when they defeated hosts Cameroon by 1–0 at the final of the football competition.
Dalung, who spoke to State House correspondents on Thursday, said the Federal Government did not expect the Super Falcons to win the football tournament.
The minister, however, said he was quoted out of context, saying that contrary to the media reports, the government prepared for the victory of the team.
Dalung made the clarification at the presentation and unveiling of the Youth Unity Cup Championship Trophy to President Muhammadu Buhari.
“May I conclude also by trying to put in proper perspective an impression that has made national headlines in recent time to the effect that the Federal Government was not anticipating a win in the victory of the Super Falcons.
This statement is attributed to my own very self. I want to categorically state that is a statement taken out of context and I cannot image or reconcile how it occurred.
The commitment of the federal government to the support of the Falcons is indeed overwhelming, that explained why the Vice-President himself had to abandon his tight schedule to visit the players in camp before they proceeded to Cameroon.
That is evidence of preparation for victory,” Dalung said.
- Just In: Court orders Kaduna prison to release El-Zakzaky’s wife, Zeenat for COVID treatment
- Police investigate Apostle Suleman for allegedly sleeping with pastor’s wife & threatening his life
- PDP justifies Wike’s N500Million donation to Sokoto State
- The Choice and the science of deploying COVID-19 vaccines in Nigeria
- APC is a dying party, we have failed Nigerians – Solomon Dalung
- PDP calls on US President Joe Biden to sanction APC leaders
- Gunmen kidnap 11 people, including children from Abuja orphanage
- Fact Check: Rivers government did not order sudden shutdown of schools
- Akeredolu’s quit notice to herdsmen is legal – Femi Falana
- Former AGF, Abdullahi Ibrahim dies of COVID-19 complications