Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Supreme Court has ordered Governor Amunu Waziri Tambuwal of Sokoto State to defend his nomination for the 2015 governorship election by the All Progressive Congress (APC).
The Court held that the nomination of Tambuwal by the APC can be challenged by another governorship aspirant, Umaru Dahiru, on the ground that he has sufficient justifiable cause.
Dahiru, a former senator had challenged the nomination of Tambuwal as candidate of the APC in the April 2015 governorship election having contested the December 2014 primary of the party but lost to Tambuwal, who eventually went on to win the gubernatorial poll conducted and was subsequently sworn in as governor.
In a unanimous decision of a five-man panel of the Supreme Court Justices, the Apex Court held that to refuse to grant leave to Dahiru to challenge Tambuwal’s nomination is to allow democracy to be murdered by the governor.
In the judgement read by Justice Chima Nweza, the court set aside the decision of the court of appeal saying it erred in law by holding that events had overtaken the case simply because the governorship election had been conducted after the primary election.
The Apex Court therefore ordered that the Federal High Court in Abuja should retry the case on its merit and make decision as demanded by law.
- Borno Governor speaks about ambush of his convoy that left police officers and soldiers dead
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Nigeria at 60- The colonialists never left; they are Nigerian politicians
- Demola Olarewaju joins TStv as Head of Corporate Affairs
- Ondo 2020: INEC says electoral materials will arrive Akure October 5
- Passengers missing as truck plunges into river in Lagos
- Breaking: Nigerian Government to reform ticketing process in response to NewsWireNGR Investigation on Abuja-Kaduna rail
- Breaking: Barely 48 hours after tanker accident, an electronic shop in Lokoja, razed in a midnight fire
- House of Representatives ready for e-parliament, says Speaker Gbajabiamila
- ‘God is not happy with us’ Aisha Buhari asks Nigerians to pray
- Buhari renews appointments of PTDF, PEF, NCDMB chief executives