Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Presidential Committee on the North East Initiative PCNI has reacted to a report by Human Rights Watch that alleged government officials in Nigeria were sexually exploiting women and girls in North East IDP camps. The reaction was contained in a press release signed by the PCNI’s Head of Communications, Alkasim Abdulkadir.
The statement said in addition to President Muhammadu Buhari’s order for a thorough investigation the PCNI will be reassessing IDP Camp management measures alongside other stakeholders to forestall any recurrence of such appalling misconduct. Furthermore a medium of reporting incidences will be put in place to mitigate future occurrences.
Reacting to the report the Vice Chairman of the PCNI Alhaji Tijjani M. Tumsah said, “If these allegations are true then it is highly regrettable because these incidents show that IDPs remain vulnerable and we will do everything in our power to ensure that they are kept safe and also punish the culprits severely.
He further stated that in a bid to rebuild the North East the wellbeing of the citizens was paramount and any incidence of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable persons will be appropriately sanctioned.
- Propsed bill to require operators of lottery, pools, betting companies to pay N20 million license fee in Lagos
- Federal Government to deduct illegal mining fees from states’ allocations
- NiMET management appeal staff to shelve planned strike
- Victor Ejechi: Nigeria added 7,999 PhD holders to the unemployment market in 21 months
- Traders told me the story about northern governor leading Boko Haram says Mailafia
- Rights group writes US, Buhari, Ganduje, condemns religious policing in Nigeria
- NJC releases list of nominees for Supreme Court appointments
- Resume or be sacked, Ebonyi government threatens striking workers
- DSS to clamp down on notable personalities and groups who incite a breakdown of law and order
- Ogun State Government suspends lockdown