Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governors’ forum has alleged that the All Progressives Congress (APC) is planning to rig the forthcoming governorship election in Ondo state.
In a statement by Patrick Okon, its secretary, the opposition vowed not to “fold our arms” and allow the “day-time robbery”.
The governors urged President Muhammadu Buhari to direct the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to be fair in the election.
“We are aware of the plan of APC to get Ondo state by all means, including enlisting the assistance of INEC,” Okon said in a statement.
“We are warning that we will not fold our arms to watch this impunity and day-time robbery.
“INEC is an umpire and should play its role very well so that the electorate will have confidence in it.
“From the way things are going, the people are already losing confidence in the commission.”
The forum also called on INEC to “stick to its electoral mandate” and should not subvert the law of the land.
“INEC should conduct itself very well in this forthcoming Ondo state governorship election to avoid a repeat of what happened in Edo election,” the statement read.
On Friday, Ayo Fayose, governor of Ekiti state, alleged that the APC had already rigged the election in advance.
He condemned the decision of INEC to clear Jimoh Ibrahim of the Ali Modu Sheriff’s faction over Eyitayo Jegede of Ahmed Makarfi’s group.
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders
- Helen McCrory, star of Peaky Blinders, dies aged 52
- German govt ignores Nigeria, picks Ghana to establish West African center for global health
- Cheta Nwanze: Security, civic space and the media
- DSS claims to have uncovered plans by IPOB to Bomb banks in South-East
- ‘Bandits are threatening to marry our girls’ Parents of abducted Kaduna students cry out
- Local Government workers block convoy of Nasarawa Deputy Governor
- Adaora Okoye: Unravelling myths surrounding women in leadership in Nigeria
- JUSUN sets April 19 for nationwide peaceful protest
- IGR for Nigerian states drops to a new low – NBS Report