Estimated Reading Time: <1
Members of late former Governor of Kogi State, Abubakar Audu’s family are in court over the sharing of his properties.
Abubakar Audu died leaving behind two wives, a daughter and eight sons shortly after the Kogi State gubernatorial elections on the 22nd of November 2015.
His last wife Fatima Abubakar is accusing the other family members of the Kogi-born politician of neglect and intentionally depriving her access to her late husband’s residence and personal effects.
Her counsel Chris Uche (SAN) had applied to the court to join Fatima in the distribution of the estate of the late politician which is supposed to take place under Islamic law at the Sharia Court of Appeal, Abuja.
The letter, dated 17th of August 2016 and addressed to the Honourable Grand Khadi of the Sharia Court of Appeal located at plot 1052, Cadastral Zone, Gudu district of Abuja and duly received on the 28th of August informed the court that Fatima, a surviving wife of the late Igala prince is supposed by law to receive a portion of the late politician’s estate.
DailyTrust Newspaper gathered that the court will be employing an alternative dispute resolution mechanism to settle the issues in dispute among both parties.
After both parties met on the 20th of October, the counsel to Fatima Abubakar refused to speak to the press claiming the Grand Khadi had given instructions that the public be left out of the dispute till it is resolved.
He however, confirmed the case has been adjourned to November 1st, 2016.
- PDP says the prophecy that the APC and its leaders will be stoned for failure has come to pass
- Breaking: Gunmen Kill First Class Traditional Ruler
- #EndSARS: Feminist Coalition website suffers suspected cyberattack
- APC chairman formally receives Senator found guilty of assault, into the party
- ‘Northern Nigeria is the worst place to live in this country’ – Sultan Of Sokoto laments
- Twitter Lawsuit: “We got notice for the hearing late” Adamu Garba explains absence from court
- Mahmood Yakubu asks National Assembly to pass amended electoral act before Q1 2021
- Nigeria is the third most terrorized country in the world according to Global Terrorism Index
- Argentine football legend, Diego Maradona to be buried in Buenos Aires
- Lai Mohammed says despite recession, Nigeria’s economy is improving