Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Wednesday vowed that the wife of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Patience, would not go scot-free if its investigation uncovers evidence of corruption against her.
The Deputy Director of Operations, EFCC, Mr. Iliyasu Kwarbai, made this vow after receiving a petition against Patience and the ruling All Progressives Congress from a group of protesters, under the aegis of Human Rights Defenders and Advocacy Centre, who marched to the EFCC office in Ikoyi Lagos.
The group submitted a petition entitled, ‘Demand for arrest, prosecution of Patience Jonathan, probe of APC campaign fund and no more sacred cow in the anti-corruption crusade.’
In the said petitioned signed by its President, Queen Ameh, and Chairman of its Board of Trustees, Innocent Agbo, HRDAC accused the EFCC of being selective in its anti-graft war, wondering why Patience was still walking freely in spite of the evidence, which they said the EFCC had against her.
The group asked the EFCC to change its slogan from ‘Nobody is above the law’, since it had found it difficult to go after the likes of Patience, and ex-Presidents, including Ibrahim Babangida, Abdusalam Abubakar, Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan.
The protesters also challenged the EFCC to probe the source of the election campaign fund of the ruling All Progressives Congress in the 2015 election, while also demanding a probe the national leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, and ex-Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi.
Addressing the EFCC, Agbo said, “You have found evidence incriminating Patience Jonathan but we are surprised that Patience Jonathan is still allowed to be walking freely, and even had the audacity to take the EFCC to court to release same money to her.”
- Buhari’s Fuji house of commotion
- Abike Dabiri accuses Minister, Ali Pantami of driving her staff out of NCC property –
- Buhari “regime” is pursuing political annihilation of the South – group alleges
- Two new cases of coronavirus recorded in Enugu State
- Social distancing was not fully enforced during the Eid prayers in Kano
- Nigeria confirms 265 new cases of COVID-19, totalling 7,526
- In Borno State Governor Zulum Attends Eid Prayers While Social Distancing
- President Buhari Celebrates Eid-El-Fitr Privately Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- Eid-el-Fitr: NSCDC Deploys 500 Officers In Yobe
- Kaduna State Healthcare Workers Begin 7-Day Warning Strike