Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered that prompt and appropriate disciplinary action be taken against those responsible for a wrongful insertion in his speech delivered on September 8 at the launch of the ‘Change Begins with Me’ campaign.
Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman, disclosed this in a statement on Friday.
He said it was observed that the similarities between a paragraph in Barack Obama’s 2008 victory speech and what Buhari read in Paragraph 9 of the 16-paragraph address while inaugurating the campaign last Thursday were too close to be passed as coincidence.
?”There was a mistake by an overzealous staff and we regret that this has happened,” Shehu said.
“Already, a deputy director in the presidency has accepted responsibility for the insertion of the contentious paragraph.
“This serious oversight will be investigated thoroughly and appropriate sanction meted. The presidency wishes to state in the clearest possible terms that it regrets this unfortunate incident and will ensure that this does not happen again.
“President Buhari urges Nigerians to look beyond this incident and focus on the message of change, which the country needs in order to restore our cherished value systems.”
Read Speech below..
PRESIDENCY TO PUNISH OFFICIAL FOR WRONGFUL INSERTION IN PRESIDENT BUHARI SPEECH.
The Presidency wishes to respond to a story on alleged plagiarism in a Presidential Speech that has been trending for most of today.
The Presidency observed that the similarities between a paragraph in President Obama’s 2008 Victory Speech and what the President read in paragraph nine of the sixteen-paragraph while inaugurating the “Change begins with me” are too close to be passed as coincidence. There was a mistake by an overzealous administration staff and we regret that this has happened.
A Deputy Director in the Presidency has accepted responsibility for the insertion of the contentious paragraphs even when a query to him was being typed.
This serious oversight will be investigated thoroughly and appropriate punishment meted.
The Presidency, once again regrets this unfortunate incident. Measures have been put in place to ensure that this does not happen again.
President Muhammadu Buhari admonished Nigerians to move past incident and focus on the message of change which the country needs in order to restore our cherished value systems.
SSAP (Media and Publicity).
- 43% of Nigerians have lost their jobs since COVID-19, this study deserves your attention
- Breaking: Buhari writes National Assembly, wants a fresh $5.513bn loan
- Just In: Nigerian civil aviation releases new Post-COVID protocol for international flights resumption
- Just In: Gunmen abduct Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, demand N20 million
- NHRC urge 11 Northern states to domesticate the Child’s Rights Act
- Schools are not ready to be reopened- Minister Of State For Education
- FG should provide bailout for aviation sector – AMCON
- Coronavirus infections in Nigeria increased with 8,733 confirmed cases
- Federal Government set to release guidelines on school reopening
- Three proposed COVID-19 herbal cures identified for further investigation – FG