Estimated Reading Time: <1
A defiant Ahmed Muhammad Makarfi-led People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has decided to go ahead with the party’s convention against an Abuja court order and attempt top stop the convention by the Nigeria Police Force.
Senator Makarfi declared the convention opened in the Rivers state governmnet house on Porthacourt amidst chairing party chieftains.
Ealier, the party via its Twitter handle had said the police had blockaded PDP chieftains in the governmnet house which the party described as house arrest.
PDP, has rescheduled its national convention and has extended the tenure of the Ahmed Makarfi caretaker committee by one year.
The extension also means the party will hold its next convention after one year. The party says it will resolve lingering lawsuits within this period.
The announcement was made Wednesday at the party’s secretariat in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, by the convention planning committee chairman, Nyesom Wike.
The decision followed the inability of the party to hold its repeat national convention in the Rivers State capital after a Federal High Court in Abuja stopped the convention.
Police and soldiers on Wednesday sealed the Sharks Stadium venue of the planned convention.
The National Executive Committee, NEC, later met at the Government House and decided to postpone the convention, which would have seen the election of new set of leaders for the party.
- Breaking: Edo state govt reviews 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the state
- US Govt wants the prosecution of all those involved in killings of #EndSARS protesters
- “We have received information alleging crimes” – ICC on #EndSARS protests in Nigeria
- We give you 24 hours to return the staff of office of the Oba of Lagos OR…… – Lagos ruling house declares
- Breaking: Finally, Buhari to address Nigerians after #LekkiMassacre and #EndSARS
- The Nigerian army says videos of Lekki tollgate shooting are photoshopped and fake
- NSA says Buhari is to provide a solution to nationwide crisis
- It was a system glitch – Instagram apologizes for censoring #EndSARS posts
- Just In: Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison
- #EndSARS: Open Letter to VP Osinbajo; It’s time to realise the emperor has no clothes