Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Borno Government said it received a cash donation of one million U.S. dollars from the Bill Gates Foundation for victims of Boko Haram insurgency in the state.
Gov. Kashim Shettima announced this on Sunday in Mainok, Kaga Local Government Area, while distributing food items and farm inputs purchased by the government.
“We are gathered here today to commence distribution of a key intervention of one million U.S. dollars food and farming aide donated by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.’’
He said that about 40,000 households were targetted to benefit from the distribution.
Shettima said each of the household would receive a 25 kilogramme bag of rice and a 10 kilogramme bag of beans.
He said that part of the money donated by the foundation was used to acquire 100 hectares farm for beans cultivation.
Shettima explained that 200 farm-families will be allocated tilled and fertile land, measuring half hectare each along with improved seeds, fertilizer, chemicals and technical supervision to grow food crops.
The governor also announced the release of two trucks of maize grains to add to the food procured with Gates’ donation.
“We are grateful to God for creating people like Mr Bill Gates and his wife, Melinda.
“These leading lights of philanthropy across the world have shown love to the good people of Borno at a time we are on the ground and looking for any hand to hold in trying to lift ourselves up.
“Now, with the emerging peace in Borno, it is only necessary that, as post insurgency response, we focus on supporting all categories of victims.
“From those in Internally Displaced Persons camps, those in communities within Maiduguri, those in our satellite camps outside Maiduguri, to those in communities across different local government areas.’’
- Just In: Ondo Commissioner for Health, Dr Wahab Adegbenro dies
- High Court dismisses suit against Adams Oshiomhole
- Just In: Dubai police extradites ‘Hushpuppi’ & ‘Woodberry’ to the United States
- Persons with malaria and cold advised not to bother going to the airport – here’s why
- Nigeria’s continuous battle with married women and ‘state of origin’
- Just In: APC lists, Oyegun, Akpabio, Oshiomhole, Ganduje, Others, members of Edo Guber campaign council – read complete names
- OPay to shut all Nigerian operations excluding payments
- Nigerian table tennis champions qualify for 2021 Olympics
- Femi Falana, Olisa Agbakoba, Oby Ezekwesili, others launch new political movement
- FEC approves N10.6bn for roads in Kogi, Gombe and Adamawa States