Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nigeria have qualified for the semi finals of the male football event of the ongoing Rio Olympic games by beating Denmark 2-0.
The Dream Team this night put up a brilliant performance to beat Denmark. Nigeria will now play Germany in the semi-final.
The Olympic Eagles pushed hard against the Danes with Ezekiel Imoh running at their defence and one of such incursions paid off in the 16th minute, when he cut back and laid a pass into the box.
Mikel picked it up and coolly finished off to ease the tensed up Nigerian team.
Nigeria dominated the game but failed to make it count. Imoh danced into the box but his shot blazed over the bar. He could have laid a pass to Mikel and Umar who were waiting for the ball.
The Danes launched a fight back in the second half, but the Nigerian defence cleared their lines coupled with good goalkeeping by Emmanuel Daniel.
In the 59th minute Umar got the second goal to kill off the game. Nigeria will play Germany on Wednesday and this is a clear chance for a medal for the country.
- Atiku commends removal of fuel subsidy, laments time wasted
- Buhari extends NCC boss, Danbatta’s tenure
- Police arrest Abuja lawyer defending women in a sexual assault case amidst national protest against sexual violence
- Appeal Court rules in favour of Audu Maikori, awards 10.5M in damages
- 3 Brothers Arrested For The Kidnap & Murder Of a 55 Year Old Mother In Abuja
- Covid-19: Kano commences house to house testing
- COVID-19 patients can now be discharged between 10 to 14 days – Ihekweazu
- Just In: Anambra State axis of the River Niger Bridge on fire
- AfDB bows to US pressure; authorises independent probe of Akinwumi Adesina
- COVID-19 Update: Total infections hit 11,516 as Nigeria records 350 new cases