Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, has commended the people of Benue state for voting for the All Progressives Congress (APC) in last year’s general election.
Dogara, on Monday, received delegates from the Mutual Union of Tiv People, led by Engineer Edward Ujege. In a statement issued by Turaki Hassan, his Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs, Dogara said posterity will be kind to the Tiv people for being at the centre of change in Nigeria’s political history.
He further said that even though a lot of commentators thought an APC victory would not be possible in Benue state, the party recorded victory there because the people stood firmly.
The Speaker also condoled with the people and government of Benue state over the demise of Tor Tiv who died in November last year.
Speaking during the meeting, Engineer Ujege lamented that despite being the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria, the Tiv people have been facing marginalisation in the polity.
“Unfortunately, decisions are being taken on the economy, security and unity of this country without representation from the Tiv people,” Ujege said.
For his part, Chairman of the Planning Committee for the burial of the late Tor Tiv Alfred Akawe Torkula – who died late last year – Brigadier General Atom Kpera (rtd), said they were in Abuja to formally invite the Speaker to the funeral of their late monarch slated for 4th February, 2016.
Dogara promised to attend the funeral of the late monarch.
- Nigeria Labour Congress Insist on strike action
- House of Representatives has waded into the crisis between FG and NLC
- “This is hardly the time to raise taxes” – Vice President Yemi Osinbajo
- APC Lawmaker says water Bill is a Northern agenda to tighten the noose on the South
- European airlines are reducing fares to attract passengers and fill the planes that are still flying
- “An orchestrated sabotage” – How President Buhari described attack on Borno Governor that left scores dead
- Borno Governor speaks about ambush of his convoy that left police officers and soldiers dead
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Nigeria at 60- The colonialists never left; they are Nigerian politicians
- Demola Olarewaju joins TStv as Head of Corporate Affairs
- Ondo 2020: INEC says electoral materials will arrive Akure October 5