Estimated Reading Time: <1
Samson Siasia, coach of the Nigerian U23 squad, has appointed John Mikel Obi as captain of the team representing Nigeria at the 31st Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Announcing his choice at the end of a meeting with players and officials on Saturday, Siasia said the choice of the midfielder was natural.
He also expressed excitement over being the first Nigerian coach to produce a player that will captain the entire Team Nigeria.
“It’s just natural for me to pick Mikel as our captain,” he said.
“Aside the fact that he is the captain of the Super Eagles, he is also Team Nigeria captain… I am pleased to say Azubuike, who has been our captain understood and was happy to hand over the captain’s band to Mikel.
“It is a thing of joy for my team to produce the first footballer to captain Team Nigeria to the Olympics.
“This, to me, is more than gratifying.”
On his part, Mikel expressed joy over the development, saying the “honour must yield result in Brazil”.
- “Governance is not magic” – Babatunde Fashola says Nigerians are looking for results in the wrong place
- “It makes no sense for oil to be cheaper in Nigeria than in Saudi Arabia” – Buhari
- Just In: No fewer than 20 #RevolutionNow protesters arrested in Lagos
- Cheta Nwanze: Between the bar and the bench
- Tinubu says Lagos is an example of the success story of Nigeria
- Nigeria At 60: Let the Nigerian youth keep sleeping
- Nigeria’s diversity can be built on, to become a source of strength – CDD
- Nigeria@60: Full text of President Buhari’s Independence Anniversary Speech
- Nigeria@60: Atiku calls for youth-centred development plan
- Lagos State Police warn against rallies and protests on October 1