Estimated Reading Time: <1
Police have begun probing the allegations of budget padding levelled against the Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara and other principal officers by a former House Committee Chairman on Appropriation, Adbdulmumin Jibrin.
It was learnt on Monday that the police leadership had directed detectives to probe the allegations by Jibrin that the Speaker colluded with his deputy, Yusuf Lasun, the Chief Whip, Alhassan Doguwa, and the Minority Whip, Leo Ogor, to earmark N40bn to themselves in the 2016 National Assembly budget.
Jibrin, an All Progressives Congress lawmaker from Kano State, who was sacked by the House leadership last week, claimed that he was being victimised by the Speaker because he objected to a request from Dogara that he (Jibrin) should allocate projects worth N40bn to him in the 2016 budget.
Findings by Punch indicates on Monday that Jibrin might be summoned before the end of the week to provide evidence on the allegations in his petition to investigators, who it was learnt, would also invite all the people mentioned by the petitioner.
A source said, “The allegations made by the former House committee chairman on appropriations are weighty and cannot be ignored or swept under the carpet because it borders on corruption and an attempt to defraud the nation.
“So, the police have set in motion machinery to investigate the allegations, ascertain the veracity of the allegations, and get to the bottom of the corruption as stated by the petitioner.”
- Nigeria to review her foreign policy in order to reflect current realities
- “‘Indictment’ reinforces our position that the EFCC, under his watch, has been a huge scam” – PDP on Ibrahim Magu
- Ose Anenih: Change and the Institutionalisation of Corruption
- Imo Governor queries IMSU VC over non-payment of staff salaries
- FG cancels resumption of schools, withdraws unity schools from 2020 WASSCE
- PHOTOS: Domestic flights resume in Nigeria’s airports
- Airborne transmission of COVID-19 cannot be ruled out says WHO
- Breaking: Ondo Assembly suspends deputy speaker
- Just In: An explosion on Oil mining lease 40 operated by NNPC has killed workers
- Doctors in Cross River State suspend strike