Estimated Reading Time: <1
Rivers State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dr. Austin Tam- George has called on the federal government to as a matter of urgency disband the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) under the leadership of Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.
Tam-George, in a statement issued shortly after the cancellation of the rerun election scheduled for July 30 said the state government and the people of the state were shocked by the collusion between INEC and the All Progressives Congress (APC) to prevent the election from taking place.
According to him, the incompetence of INEC and the open partisanship of the electoral body was denying the state full representation in the National Assembly.
“The government of Rivers State and people of Rivers State are shocked by the bare-faced collusion between INEC and the All Progressives Congress (APC) to subvert democracy in the state”.
“It is completely unacceptable that Rivers State would continue to be denied full representation in the National Assembly due to the incompetence and malpractices orchestrated by INEC”.
“We call on the presidency and the National Assembly to act urgently in the national interest to disband INEC as presently constituted, for its incompetence and open partisanship.”
“We call on the international community to initiate and maintain diplomatic pressure on the federal government, which continues to frustrate the independence of INEC, and the evolution of democratic diversity in Nigeria”.
“The people of Rivers state will continue to resist and defeat the medieval authoritarianism of the APC” the statement said .
The Commissioner praised the Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, for his courageous insistence that only free and fair elections would be acceptable to the people of Rivers State.
- Nigeria to review her foreign policy in order to reflect current realities
- “‘Indictment’ reinforces our position that the EFCC, under his watch, has been a huge scam” – PDP on Ibrahim Magu
- Ose Anenih: Change and the Institutionalisation of Corruption
- Imo Governor queries IMSU VC over non-payment of staff salaries
- FG cancels resumption of schools, withdraws unity schools from 2020 WASSCE
- PHOTOS: Domestic flights resume in Nigeria’s airports
- Airborne transmission of COVID-19 cannot be ruled out says WHO
- Breaking: Ondo Assembly suspends deputy speaker
- Just In: An explosion on Oil mining lease 40 operated by NNPC has killed workers
- Doctors in Cross River State suspend strike