Breaking News

Nigerian Government Explains Why Buratai, Danbazau Weren’t Indicted In Arms Scandal

The Muhammadu Buhari administration says the report of the Presidential Committee on the Audit of Defence Equipment Procurement in the Armed Forces (2007-2015) was not doctored to remove some names.

A statement issued in Abuja on Friday and made available to NewsWireNGR by the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, dismissed claims that the arms report was doctored as “untrue”.

The statement was signed by the Special Adviser to the Minister, Segun Adeyemi.

The report, released Thursday, indicts former chiefs of army staff, Kenneth Minimah and Azubuike Ihejirika, and other senior past and serving military and civilian officials.

But the findings, approved by President Buhari, have sparked widespread allegations of bias.

Many Nigerians accuse the government of being selective and refusing to indict key members of the current administration, believed to have played questionable roles in military procurement since 2007.

Critics cite the Minister of Interior, Abdurrahman Danbazau, who was the Chief of Army between 2008 and 2010, as an example.
Insiders had told PREMIUM TIMES ahead of the submission of the report that Mr. Danbazau was found wanting by investigators, and that he was frantically lobbying to have his name delisted from the report.

The government is also accused of not indicting Tukur Buratai, current Chief of Army Staff, who served as the director of military procurement under the former Goodluck Jonathan administration.

Critics argue that as the man in charge of defence contract at a time of rampant government and military corruption, it would be unlikely that Mr. Buratai is in the clear.

Lately, several groups have called for Mr. Buratai’s sack, after he was exposed by the media as the owner of multimillion dollar assets in Dubai, United Arab Emirate.

The army said the properties are jointly owned by Mr. Buratai and his two wives, and that they had been declared as required by law in a letter from the Code of Conduct Bureau. In the content, Mr. Buratai declared the Dubai properties under his wife’s name alone.

 

Leave a Reply