Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Police have stepped up security around the Abia Government House in Umuahia, following report of the issuance of Certificate of Return to Dr Uche Ogah as Governor-elect of the State.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), reports that the news, which filtered into the state around noon, caused anxiety among residents of Umuahia.
At the city centre, popularly called Isi-gate, some traders, tricycle riders and passersby expressed happiness over the development.
However, the situation was different at the Government House, where political office holders were seen moving hurriedly out of their offices, while workers simply watched.
Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu, who was on his way to deliver an inaugural lecture at the Abia State University, Uturu when the news filtered in, cancelled the event and made a quick return to Aba.
Ikpeazu had operated from the Government House Liaison Office in Aba since he assumed office on May 29, 2015.
NAN learnt that hundreds of Ogah’s supporters have moved to Sam Mbakwe Cargo Airport, Owerri, to receive him.
Many other supporters were seen at the Government House main-gate in anticipation of his inauguration.
Attempts to get the reaction of officials of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the state on the development were unsuccessful.
The Chairman of the party, Chief Johnson Onuigbo, did not pick calls made to his cell phone.
- Estonia gets first female prime minister
- NDLEA to test students, corps members, security agencies
- COVID-19: FG extends partial lockdown by a month
- Just In: Imo State Governor declares curfew in Orlu
- South-West Governors ban all forms of open grazing in the region
- Pregnant woman killed by bandits in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State
- Cross River, EU destroy arms surrendered by militants in the state
- State Governors meet with Miyetti Allah in Akure; here are some of the resolutions reached
- Filmmakers should collect permit to avoid harassment – Sanwo-Olu
- Federal Government is insincere with the handling of herdsmen crisis – Bamikole Omisore