Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party Governor’s Forum yesterday described the freezing of the personal accounts of Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, as gross abuse of the constitution.
The forum, which spoke through its Chairman and Ondo State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko has therefore called on President Muhammadu Buhari to call the anti-graft agency to order.
This came as the Ekiti State House of Assembly faulted the move by the EFCC, saying it acted beyond its powers.
Reacting to the freezing of Fayose’s account by the EFCC, Governor Mimiko noted that EFCC’s action has portrayed the nation as one in crisis.
Expressing his displeasure over the step, Mimiko said EFCC cannot interfere with the account of a sitting governor, adding that, it was contrary to Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution.
In a statement, the Ondo State governor argued that if the intention is to suggest any criminal infraction or fraud against the governor, the agency should have sheathe its sword till he (Fayose) vacates office.
While he warned that the country is drifting towards totalitarianism, he insisted that the account of any individual could only be frozen after a court of competent jurisdiction has so ruled or an interim order by a court of competent jurisdiction is granted to the anti graft agency.
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid