Estimated Reading Time: <1
Indian officials have “sentenced” three lions to a lifetime of captivity after tests showed they were man eaters.
Eighteen lions in Gujarat state’s Gir sanctuary were “arrested” after three people were killed in attacks, BBC news reports..
Human remains were found in the excrement of one adult male and two young female lions, Gujarat’s chief conservator AP Singh said.
The male lion will be sent to a zoo, while the females will remain in captivity at a rescue centre.
Mr Singh told reporters officials believed that only the male lion had actually attacked and killed humans, with the lionesses eating “leftover” meat.
Six attacks on humans were reported recently near the sanctuary, the only habitat of the Asiatic lion.
Three people – a 14-year-old boy, a woman aged around 50 and a 61-year-old man – were killed between April and May, prompting officials to capture the entire pride of 18 animals.
- New details emerge on the arrest of Abia lawyer allegedly detained by DSS without trial
- 100 pilots at Bristow helicopters have been fired
- Federal government develops national policy on virtual meetings
- Insecurity: President Buhari directs security operatives to re-strategise
- Nigerian Govt increase the fine for hate speech from N500,000 to 5 million naira
- “We want a free and fair election” – Governor Wike wants INEC to be apolitical in Edo State
- Breaking: Kwara deputy governor and wife test positive for COVID-19
- Buhari orders Niger Delta Development Commission to pay its scholarship beneficiaries studying abroad
- Hamzat Lawal listed as a Global Malala Fund Education Champion
- Former AGF, Mohammed Adoke pleads not guilty to money laundering charges