Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) on Monday announced a seven-member team, led by Odein Ajumogobia, a former Minister of Petroleum, to dialogue with the Federal Government.
Jomo Gbomo, MEND’s spokesman, said in an online statement on Monday that other members of the group, tagged, “Aaron Team 2”, are Bismark Rewane (Delta) and Florence Ita-Giwa (Cross River).
The rest are Timipa Jenkins Okponipere (Bayelsa), Ledum Mitee (Rivers) and Lawson Omokhodion (Edo) and Ibanga Isine (Akwa Ibom), who is a PREMIUM TIMES reporter.
Mr. Gbomo said other members of the team would be made public in due course after consultations with relevant stakeholders.
He said the team was made up of patriotic and selfless men and women with good track records and character drawn from different parts of the Niger Delta region.
Mr. Gbomo also said the team would dialogue with the Federal Government on the immediate, medium and long-term future of the Niger Delta region.
He said members had already agreed to serve on behalf of the Niger Delta Region.
He recalled that MEND on May 30, 2014, declared a ceasefire on attacks against the nation`s key economic and strategic interests.
The spokesman said the group took the decision in response to former President Goodluck Jonathan`s Democracy Day speech.
“Our message to the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) is simple: The Niger Delta struggle is beyond attacks on oil installations.
“If indeed your cause is to avenge the injustice done to the Niger Delta region; then, we urge you to ceasefire and join us to the table of negotiation with the Federal Government.
“Otherwise, the Niger Delta struggle shall be hijacked, once again by selfish interests for their own personal aggrandizement,” Gbomo said.
He said the problems and challenges facing the region after attacks on key installations were environmental pollution and political corruption.
Read the post by Avengers below
This is to the Gen. public we're not negotiating with any Committee. if Fed Govt is discussing wth any group they're doing that on their own
— Niger Delta Avengers (@NDAvengers) June 8, 2016
- Breaking: Ondo Assembly suspends deputy speaker
- Just In: An explosion on Oil mining lease 40 operated by NNPC has killed workers
- Doctors in Cross River State suspend strike
- Tax debt payments have been extended to August 31 – FIRS
- Kogi swears in new Chief Judge
- NewsWireNGR Journalist, Nelly Kalu, accepted into Dubawa Fact-Checking Fellowship
- NBC Code Amendment: The New Frontier in Nigeria’s War on the Economy
- Ibrahim Magu spent his second night in police custody as DSS Operatives ransacked his homes
- Special Report: Fighting COVID-19 in Nigeria but citizens are dying of other illnesses due to neglect
- Kwara Governor loses chief of staff to COVID-19