Estimated Reading Time: <1
Sokoto state will provide about 1000 hectres of land for the creation of grazing reserves for herdsmen and herds owners, Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has said.
The sites will be local in six local local government areas of the state.
The government said it is also ready to provide lands for commercial agriculture to any private investor willing to invest in mechanised farming in the state.
A statement issued from the Governor’s Office in Sokoto signed by Malam Imam Imam, said Tambuwal spoke at the opening of a National Retreat on Livestock and Dairy Development organised by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
“A properly-structured and well-managed grazing reserves will improve the well-being of our cattle. With it, we can monitor what they eat, and correctly estimate outputs we are likely to get from their products.
“My thinking is that herdsmen move about in search of greener pasture, if we can bring the green pasture to their doorsteps, I am sure they will be willing to settle down. Sokoto will support every initiastive aimed at improving our livestock and dairy sub-sector,” the Governor said.
According to him, the state government will officially launch a commercial dairy farm before the end of the year so as to tap from the potential available in the sector.
“We are working with our partners in Argentina to ensure the realisation of the project. Our target is to commence operation in October this year and we hope it will contribute to increasing the total volume of milk produced in the country. It is an important project because it will provide job opportunity for our citizens, and will improve their knowledge on how to handle modern farm,” Tambuwal added.
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid