Estimated Reading Time: <1
The former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Uche Secondus has formally handed over the secretariat of the party to the Senator Ahmed Makarfi-led Caretaker Committee which was constituted during the party’s National Convention in Port Harcourt, Rivers state.
This is coming days after the party’s Board of Trustees, BoT, announced its decision to preside over the affairs of the PDP based on the litigation involving the faction led by Makarfi and the immediate past national chairman of the party, Ali Modu Sheriff.
Chairman of the board, Senator Walid Jibrin had told staff of the party in Abuja last week that; “We, the BoT are entrusted under the constitution of our party to be in charge of the assets and liability of PDP. Today, the BoT remains the only legal body now in the whole set up and that is why we are here to play our role.”
But on Tuesday, Secondus announced at the party’s headquarters in Abuja that the caretaker committee is now in charge of the PDP and appealed to party members to cooperate with the committee to deliver on its mandate.
He stated that the PDP is strong and is working towards ensuring a successful National Convention which would produce leaders who in turn would lead the party to victory in 2019.
“The party is one and is strong. On behalf of members of the former National Working Committee of the PDP, I am here to handover to the Caretaker committee chairman, we are ready to work with you, we are ready to cooperate with you,” Secondus said.
He further enjoined party leaders at all levels to go back to their localities and rebuild the party because all politics is local, maintaining that it is not enough to remain in Abuja and claim to have a large following.
Also speaking at the event, the BoT Chairman, Jibrin said the Board never took over the party, explaining that all that it did was to hold the assets and liabilities of the party in trust.
He said he was handing over the reins of authority to the Makarfi-led committee and appealed to party members to cooperate with the committee to deliver on its mandate.
- Doctors at Kogi Federal Medical Center begin Indefinite strike over armed attack
- Domestic flights to resume July 8 at Lagos, Abuja airports
- Suspended National Broadcasting Commission DG re-arraigned over ‘N2.5 billion fraud
- Lagos airport gets N2.2bn for runway extension
- Former chairperson of NSITF, Ngozi Olejeme, forfeits 48 properties
- Federal government increases petrol price to N143.80
- BudgIT launches open Nigerian states data portal
- National Assembly suspends special public works programme
- Ondo governorship polls; INEC suspends registration of new voters
- Newly released Senator Orji Kalu proposes amendment to criminal justice act