Estimated Reading Time: <1
The immediate past President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has observed that there have been corrupt practices in the country since Independence, but stressed that his administration did very well to curtail it.
Speaking in an interview with Bloomberg , the former president averred that, “I cannot say that the country since the beginning of our Independence, that there was no corruption. Yes, there has been corruption.”
Jonathan continued, “I did very well also to curtail corruption. My approach to corruption was: don’t make money available for anybody to touch.
“We made sure that the area of fertilizer subsidies was cleaned up. The whole corruption there was removed. I wanted to do the same thing in the oil sector but the very people that have been accusing us of corruption are the very people that frustrated it. It’s unfortunate.”
- Nigeria to review her foreign policy in order to reflect current realities
- “‘Indictment’ reinforces our position that the EFCC, under his watch, has been a huge scam” – PDP on Ibrahim Magu
- Ose Anenih: Change and the Institutionalisation of Corruption
- Imo Governor queries IMSU VC over non-payment of staff salaries
- FG cancels resumption of schools, withdraws unity schools from 2020 WASSCE
- PHOTOS: Domestic flights resume in Nigeria’s airports
- Airborne transmission of COVID-19 cannot be ruled out says WHO
- Breaking: Ondo Assembly suspends deputy speaker
- Just In: An explosion on Oil mining lease 40 operated by NNPC has killed workers
- Doctors in Cross River State suspend strike