Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former Vice President and chieftain of All Progressives Congress, APC, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Sunday, said democracy, despite its limitations and challenges, remains the best form of government anywhere in the world.
In his message to mark Nigeria’s Democracy Day, the former Vice President explained that the freedom of choice is one of the most important ingredients of the democratic system.
According to him, the freedom to choose leaders makes democracy fashionable, adding that any system that subverts the will of the people destroys the progress of the society.
The Turaki Adamawa said as an active participant in the democratic struggle in Nigeria and an ardent proponent of the rule of law, rather than the rule of man, he recognises the sacrifices of gallant Nigerians whose struggles brought the nation to the current stage.
According to him, as Nigerians celebrate democracy day, the memory of late Shehu Yar’Adua and MKO Abiola would resonate across the country, adding that the sacrifices of countless others who paid the supreme price for opposing dictatorship would also not be forgotten.
The former Vice President says no sane society would choose despotism over democracy because, under dictatorship, dissent is met with death or torture. On the current challenges facing the ordinary Nigerians, the former Vice President affirmed that no democratically elected government would intentionally hurt the voters that put it into office.
He explained that the APC administration remains committed to the welfare of Nigerians, and that the current challenges are temporary.
According to him, the 2016 budget is specifically targeted to address the basic needs of the ordinary Nigerians, explaining that the implementation of the budget would bring succour to Nigerians.
Atiku urged Nigerians not to lose hope because of the current temporary challenges that they are going through.
- Nigerian Labour Congress rejects new fuel price
- Buhari gives marching orders for revenue drive
- Just In: Ondo Commissioner for Health, Dr Wahab Adegbenro dies
- High Court dismisses suit against Adams Oshiomhole
- Just In: Dubai police extradites ‘Hushpuppi’ & ‘Woodberry’ to the United States
- Persons with malaria and cold advised not to bother going to the airport – here’s why
- Nigeria’s continuous battle with married women and ‘state of origin’
- Just In: APC lists, Oyegun, Akpabio, Oshiomhole, Ganduje, Others, members of Edo Guber campaign council – read complete names
- OPay to shut all Nigerian operations excluding payments
- Nigerian table tennis champions qualify for 2021 Olympics