Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former Vice President and chieftain of All Progressives Congress, APC, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Sunday, said democracy, despite its limitations and challenges, remains the best form of government anywhere in the world.
In his message to mark Nigeria’s Democracy Day, the former Vice President explained that the freedom of choice is one of the most important ingredients of the democratic system.
According to him, the freedom to choose leaders makes democracy fashionable, adding that any system that subverts the will of the people destroys the progress of the society.
The Turaki Adamawa said as an active participant in the democratic struggle in Nigeria and an ardent proponent of the rule of law, rather than the rule of man, he recognises the sacrifices of gallant Nigerians whose struggles brought the nation to the current stage.
According to him, as Nigerians celebrate democracy day, the memory of late Shehu Yar’Adua and MKO Abiola would resonate across the country, adding that the sacrifices of countless others who paid the supreme price for opposing dictatorship would also not be forgotten.
The former Vice President says no sane society would choose despotism over democracy because, under dictatorship, dissent is met with death or torture. On the current challenges facing the ordinary Nigerians, the former Vice President affirmed that no democratically elected government would intentionally hurt the voters that put it into office.
He explained that the APC administration remains committed to the welfare of Nigerians, and that the current challenges are temporary.
According to him, the 2016 budget is specifically targeted to address the basic needs of the ordinary Nigerians, explaining that the implementation of the budget would bring succour to Nigerians.
Atiku urged Nigerians not to lose hope because of the current temporary challenges that they are going through.
- Tinubu describes Obaseki as an errant, ill disciplined governor and a dictator, who has been contemptuous of the people of Edo state
- Breaking: European Union lifts travel restrictions
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Naira Marley irritates the hypocrisy in all of us
- Buhari signs amended Companies Allied Matters bill
- Lai Mohammed says the hate speech N5 million fine is to deter those willing to destabilise Nigeria
- DG of the Progressive Governors forum says party is losing electoral value
- Just In: NUPENG orders tanker drivers to Suspend services in Lagos
- Candidate of the APC in Edo State, Ize-Iyamu says he does not want to go to Jail
- Former Nassarawa SSG cleared of all allegations of financial misappropriation
- Reps summon finance minister, predecessor over N1.7 trillion