Estimated Reading Time: <1
Governorship aspirant of All Progressives Congress, APC, in Edo State, Mr Godwin Obaseki and his supporters escaped death, yesterday, when armed men opened fire on them at Sobe, Owan West Local Government Area of the state. However, brave youths in the area pursued the suspected thugs and apprehended them with their guns and they were handed over to the Police.
The state Commissioner for Arts and Culture, McDonald Obasuke, who confirmed the incident shortly after it happened at 5:30p.m., said he saw a man who went inside a vehicle and brought out a gun and shot at the venue where Obaseki was about to address the APC delegates.
According to Obasuke in an interview with newsmen, “While we were still expecting delegates, Obaseki was already inside with the party leaders when this boy, who pretended he was with us, went inside a car, brought out a gun and fired in our direction.
“We were lucky to dodge the bullet, so we immediately mobilised our boys and pursued him and others because it seemed they came to disrupt the event. We caught them and handed them over to the police. It was really shocking but we thank God nobody was hurt. However, Obaseki could not address the delegates because of the shooting.”
Obaseki said: “I called off the meeting with the delegates because I had to be whisked off by my security men. No one was hurt though. I cannot be intimidated. Whoever did this has failed because we will continue with our campaign.”
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Osifo, when contacted, said he was yet to be briefed, but promised to call the Divisional Police Officer at Sabongida Ora for details of what happened.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists