Estimated Reading Time: <1
Amaju Pinnick, President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), on Wednesday in Abuja said he had no regrets hiring Sunday Oliseh as the Super Eagles’ Head Coach. Pinnick told newsmen in Abuja at a news conference that Oliseh, who quit his job last month, came under high recommendation.
“When we brought the last coach (Oliseh), we brought him first because he is a Nigerian and he came highly recommended. “In addition to this, I don’t also have any regrets saying he was a `Pep Guardiola’ of Africa.
“When we employed him we gave him a four-year plan, and if you look at the contract we also talked about building capacities. “But he resigned at the end of the day even at a difficult time, a month to crucial qualifying matches,’’ he said.
Pinnick spoke in the wake of the team’s ouster from the qualifiers for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) on Tuesday. Oliseh, a former Super Eagles midfielder who later captained the team, took over from former teammate Stephen Keshi as the team’s Head Coach on July 14, 2015.
He later quit on Feb. 26, citing lack of support from the NFF, thus leading to the drafting of Samson Siasia to the team as Interim Coach. On whether he would advise on a foreign coach for the team, as he had earlier been reported to have said, Pinnick said it was up to the NFF executive committee. “We hired a coach and I was called upon to come and reverse the decision of hiring a coach.
“ I was called into the highest seat in the land to reverse the decision. “Never again will I want to do anything that will be looked at or remotely perceived not to be justifiable. “That is why the entire executive committee will sit down and look at the pros and cons and take everything into consideration.
“The position we will take will not be by Pinnick, but by the NFF executive committee and we will communicate it to the Minister of Youths and Sports,’’ he said.
Pinnick said the NFF executive committee would hold a consultative forum on April 5 with the Minister for a clear direction on the technical crew of the Super Eagles.
- Breaking: Armed security officials fire live bullets at thousands of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos
- Flight operations at the Murtala Mohammed Airport suspended
- Nigerian senate asks Buhari to Immediately address citizens #EndSARS
- Breaking: IGP deploys anti-riot policemen nationwide
- Just In: All Progressives Congress leader wants court to shutdown twitter in Nigeria
- Tension as hoodlums set ablaze another police station in Lagos State
- Speaker Gbajabiamila says he will not sign the 2021 Appropriation Bill until … #EndSARS
- Breaking: Lagos Government declares curfew over #EndSARS protests
- Nigerian economy loses N700bn to #EndSARS protests in 12 days
- Just In: 8 killed, 7 others injured in a tanker explosion in Niger State