Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Rivers State Government led by Governor Nyesom Wike has called on security operatives to adhere strictly to President Muhammadu Buhari’s directives without bias, urging them to arrest the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi and prosecute him if he poses any security threat and violates the electoral laws, before, during and after the Rivers State re-run polls.
The Rivers State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dr. Austin Tam-George who made this declaration in a press statement, said Amaechi’s hotel room and vehicles should be searched to ensure that he was not in possession of sensitive materials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), before, during and after the election.
The Commissioner said, Amaechi’s plot to truncate the electoral process in Rivers State through the instigation of violence had been perfected two weeks ago.
He called on the security forces to quickly investigate disturbing security intelligence that the All Progressives Congress (APC) had sown fake military uniforms and distributed to its members to cause mayhem during the elections, so as to plunge the State into anarchy.
The Commissioner also requested an urgent investigation into credible information that the INEC ad hoc staff list is already populated with fanatical APC supporters, who have been mandated to rig the elections without scruples.
Dr. Tam-George further posited that “the electoral law is no respecter of any person no matter how highly placed”, and urged INEC to be responsive to its duties and resist being pliable in the hands of Mr Amaechi.
The Commissioner emphasized that INEC should recognize that it would be held to the highest operational and ethical standards throughout the electoral process.
- Breaking: 553 new Coronavirus cases reported in Nigeria, highest in a single day
- Kaduna: Group calls for FG’s intervention in Kajuru killings
- Nollywood Actress, Regina Daniels is having a baby with Ned Nwoko
- Infectious Diseases Bill more dangerous than coronavirus – Ekweremadu
- Ibrahim, President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, is dead
- Doctors threaten strike over non payment of COVID-19 Allowance
- 268 Nigerians arrive from China
- Niger State plans to modernise local Islamic schools
- “Destructive shadow of bitterness, we’re shackled by the sins of our fathers”- Nigeria is haunted by the Biafran war
- Nigeria’s Elnathan John, others to judge Kalahari short story competition open to writers in Swahili, French and English