Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Speaker of Ondo State House of Assembly, Mrs. Jumoke Akindele had an unusual International Women’s Day celebration as she was impeached on Tuesday, March 8 2016.
She was impeached alongside her deputy, Fatai Olotu.
18 legislators out of 26 were in support of the impeachment move and immediately elected Iroju Ogundeji and Ayo Arowole as speaker and deputy respectively.
Ogundeji represents Odigbo constituency, from Ondo South, while Arowole represents Owo constituency.
Akindele, a member of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), and a lawyer represents Okitipupa in the assembly.
She was first elected speaker May, 2014.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State had earlier called for arrest and prosecution of the erstwhile Speaker for alleged conspiracy with Governor Olusegun Mimiko by swearing in the two Peoples Democratic Party’s House of Assembly candidates for Ilaje Constituencies l and II. Mr. Abayomi Akinruntan and Mr. Coker Malachi without following due process.
- Breaking: 553 new Coronavirus cases reported in Nigeria, highest in a single day
- Kaduna: Group calls for FG’s intervention in Kajuru killings
- Nollywood Actress, Regina Daniels is having a baby with Ned Nwoko
- Infectious Diseases Bill more dangerous than coronavirus – Ekweremadu
- Ibrahim, President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, is dead
- Doctors threaten strike over non payment of COVID-19 Allowance
- 268 Nigerians arrive from China
- Niger State plans to modernise local Islamic schools
- “Destructive shadow of bitterness, we’re shackled by the sins of our fathers”- Nigeria is haunted by the Biafran war
- Nigeria’s Elnathan John, others to judge Kalahari short story competition open to writers in Swahili, French and English