Estimated Reading Time: <1
Newly appointed chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Senator Ali Modu Sherrif, has declared that he would not succumb to the widespread calls by some members of the party that he should resign his position.
Sherrif, a former Governor of Borno state, made the declaration, on Monday, after he formally took over as the chairman of the party revealing that his resignation would not be in the interest of the party, especially members of the National Executive Committee who drafted him to reposition the party.
He spoke in reaction to the call by the PDP Rescue Group which had called on him to resign his position as his emergence was not acceptable to the generality of the people.
He added that his focus was to ensure that the party was firmly put in the hands of the owners—the people at the grassroots, noting that the era of a few people dictating how the party should be run is over.
He however promised that he would work with all relevant organs of the party to ensure that the party conducted a credible congress and convention that would be a pride to all Nigerians.
He also pleaded with aggrieved members of the party, over his emergence as the national chairman, to sheath their swords and work with him towards repositioning the party for a greater height.
“I will carry everybody along. I have come to form a partnership with party men and women. The wrangling that is going on is normal but we will overcome,” he said.
“The time ahead is certainly not going to be easy. We are aware of the high expectations from Nigerians for us to give the part a new focus. Our party is a party that has an avalanche of qualified people who can proffer solution to our problems.
“We accepted to serve not because we are the best, but because we have been identified to be capable of doing the task ahead
“I will contact everybody that matters in the party because we have the same goal which is rebuilding the party to its enviable height,” he said, as he vowed to deploy all resources at his disposal to ensure that all members of the party especially founding fathers, are brought back to the fold to make the party great again.
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence
- Edo Elections: PDP picks Nyesom Wike as campaign chairman
- Governor Abdulrazaq reshuffles cabinet
- LASG announces partial reopening of schools
- Kogi Governor appoints acting Chief Judge
- Bauchi Governor suspends Emir of Misau
- APC plans to use Ganduje, Yahyah Bello and Uzodinma to derail Edo election – PDP
- Stamp duty will now be paid on house rent and C of O – FIRS
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud