Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday declared that none of the 774 local government areas in Nigeria is under the control of the insurgents, Boko Haram.
The Senator representing Borno Central, Baba Kaka Garbai had recently claimed that more than 50 percent of Borno State was under the control of Boko Haram.
Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima and the Nigerian Army had swiftly disagreed with the senator’s position.
Buhari, at a joint briefing with the visiting German President, Mr. Joachim Guack at the Presidential Villa, Abuja maintained that the senator’s position was incorrect.
He also called for the support of Germany to make sure Nigeria emerges a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
The German President pledged more support of his country towards defeat of Boko Haram.
At least 56 people have been killed in a double suicide bombing at a camp sheltering people displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency in north-east Nigeria.
The bombers, both female, detonated their explosives while the camp’s residents were queuing for rations. The victims, at the Dikwa camp in Borno state, were mostly women and children.
Islamist Boko Haram militants have been attacking civilian targets as the Nigerian military seeks to wrest territory from their control.
The group’s six-year insurgency has killed some 20,000 people and driven more than two million people from their homes.
The camp at Dikwa is reportedly home to about 50,000 people displaced by the violence.
Nigeria’s Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo promised “formidable security” at camps to prevent further attacks.
The bombers, both female, detonated their explosives while the camp’s residents were queuing for rations.
They have been displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency in the area.
Mr Osinbajo says the measures should “guard against future occurrences”.
- In Enugu, Catholic Bishop chased out worshippers without face masks out of church
- We have no money to import food — Buhari begs farmers to increase cultivation
- PDP insists its candidate, Musa Wada, won the Governorship election, heads to appeal court
- Lagos Govt announce Closure of Marine Beach Bridge to vehicular movement – here’s why
- 313 More COVID-19 cases reported, total Infections Hit 7,839
- Buhari’s Fuji house of commotion
- Abike Dabiri accuses Minister, Ali Pantami of driving her staff out of NCC property –
- Buhari “regime” is pursuing political annihilation of the South – group alleges
- Two new cases of coronavirus recorded in Enugu State
- Social distancing was not fully enforced during the Eid prayers in Kano