Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday declared that none of the 774 local government areas in Nigeria is under the control of the insurgents, Boko Haram.
The Senator representing Borno Central, Baba Kaka Garbai had recently claimed that more than 50 percent of Borno State was under the control of Boko Haram.
Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima and the Nigerian Army had swiftly disagreed with the senator’s position.
Buhari, at a joint briefing with the visiting German President, Mr. Joachim Guack at the Presidential Villa, Abuja maintained that the senator’s position was incorrect.
He also called for the support of Germany to make sure Nigeria emerges a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
The German President pledged more support of his country towards defeat of Boko Haram.
At least 56 people have been killed in a double suicide bombing at a camp sheltering people displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency in north-east Nigeria.
The bombers, both female, detonated their explosives while the camp’s residents were queuing for rations. The victims, at the Dikwa camp in Borno state, were mostly women and children.
Islamist Boko Haram militants have been attacking civilian targets as the Nigerian military seeks to wrest territory from their control.
The group’s six-year insurgency has killed some 20,000 people and driven more than two million people from their homes.
The camp at Dikwa is reportedly home to about 50,000 people displaced by the violence.
Nigeria’s Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo promised “formidable security” at camps to prevent further attacks.
The bombers, both female, detonated their explosives while the camp’s residents were queuing for rations.
They have been displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency in the area.
Mr Osinbajo says the measures should “guard against future occurrences”.
- Governor Ayade swears in 3rd acting chief judge in 11 months, as lawyers protest
- #EndSARS protests: Lagos considers closure of schools
- Leave the road and let’s talk; Sanwo-Olu begs #EndSARS protesters
- 181 students, staff test positive for COVID-19 in Lagos private school
- Breaking: Another Prison attacked and inmates freed in Edo
- Nigerian lawmaker backs #EndSARS protesters
- Just In: Defence minister warns protesters against undermining National Security #EndSARS
- “The ongoing protests show that there is hidden agenda, APC on #EndSARS
- Protesters block airport road as Soldiers take over #EndSARS locations in Abuja
- Breaking: Edo State Government declares 24-hour curfew #EndSARS