Estimated Reading Time: <1
The national leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC, on Tuesday expressed shock at some misleading media reports suggesting that the party has no money to fund its activities.
The party’s National Secretary, Mai Mala Buni in a statement clarified that: “The APC is not broke as erroneously reported. The concerned news mediums have unfairly and unethically twisted and misrepresented comments by the party’s National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun.
He went on to produce a transcript of the National Chairman’s statement on the issue of party funding during an interactive session with journalists at the APC headquarters in Abuja on Monday January 25, 2016. It reads:
Chief John Odigie-Oyegun (On party funding): “There has been this talk in the media but that goes to tell you that just like the economy, the party too is suffering from the stresses and strains of funding just like every institution in our polity. That also goes to tell you that we are not a party that withdraws money from security votes or from any government agency.
“We are working on plans to raise money from within the memberships. That plan has matured and will soon put it into operation. I saw reports that we have written to the president to rescue the party. That is not part of his national duties and he has no intention because there are no funds from which he can draw from.
“The party has to come up with fresh and innovative ways as to how to raise resources for its operations and that, we have done. The plan is ready and will go into operation in the next one month or two.”
- Cross River Govenor’s aide threatens suicide over unpaid salary
- In Kaduna, bandits have killed no fewer than 18 people in two local government areas
- Nigeria is expecting COVID-19 vaccines from three donor sources – Health Minister
- Kano assembly approves a bill to force premarital testing
- Akeredolu calls for decentralisation of Police
- Just in: Senate approves Bawa’s appointment as new EFCC Chairman
- Auditor-General indicts MDAs on N105.66Billion spending
- Victims of NAF plane crash to be buried on Thursday
- WAEC withholds 70,000 SSCE results in Kano as government default on payment for sponsored students
- Borno Governor confirms 10 dead, 47 injured as he visits victims of Maiduguri attack