Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alh. Lai Mohammed has alleged that beneficiaries of corruption ‘who did not want the nation to be at peace’ were behind the funding of the Boko Haram.
He said that the Insurgency is being funded from ‘proceeds of corruption’
Speaking to the various broadcast organizations, he said that the media should be patriotic, saying they ‘cannot afford to be neutral at this time.’ He said the Nation is presently at war and that the press should take the country’s side. He said ‘the war against terror is our war, not the military’s war.’
Alhaji Lai Mohammed disclosed this at a meeting with the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) in Abuja Friday, during his visit to enlist support for the new attitudinal change programme was tagged “Change Begins With Me”
He further explained that another campaign against corruption would also be unveiled shortly after the commencement of the “Change Begins With Me’’ programme.
The minister said the essence of the campaign was to educate Nigerians on the need to support the military which, according to him, had availed itself creditably in the battle.
It was also aimed at alerting the citizenry to the need to be more security conscious, to be able to identify Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), the weapon of choice deployed by the Jihadi terrorists.
Another reason was for the campaign is that Nigerians be able to identify suicide bombers before they are able to strike since “they live amongst us”.
Mohammed explained that the messages will be produced in various local languages to make them more potent.
“We believe that the change we so desire must start with each and every one of us, if it is to endure. The change must also come from within the heart, rather than being forced,” the minister stated.
On a request by one of the BON members that the government should assist them in protecting broadcast installations, the minister said he would reach out to the Inspector General of Police, to provide security to all broadcasting premises and facilities nationwide.
- NCDC certifies Kwara for COVID-19 testing
- Magu-Gate: Meet Pastor Emmanuel Omale; Prophet named in alleged money laundering report
- More trouble in Ondo as workers threaten strike over unpaid salary arrears
- Parents, Teachers association to meet with FG over cancelled WAEC
- 356 soldiers in the North-East and other theatres of operations tender resignation letters, citing “loss of interest”
- No testing for Covid-19 in Cross River State on weekends – NMA complains
- Nigeria’s Kamaru Usman retains UFC Belt in dominant win over Masvidal
- Presidential Panel Names Pastor used by former acting EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu in allegedly Laundering funds
- Interest in N550 billion recovered funds by the EFCC under Ibrahim Magu “has been re-looted” – Presidential Panel
- “Mr. Magu was not immune” – Presidency breaks silence on the detention of former EFCC acting Chairman