Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Presidency on Saturday said Nigeria’s military hierarchy did not treat President Muhammadu Buhari well during the tenure of Goodluck Jonathan as president of the country.
The Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President, Mr. Garba Shehu, in a Facebook post, described the military’s action as shameless.
In the run in of the March 28 presidential election, the Nigerian military claimed that it did not have the record of President Buhari’s West African Examination Council result.
Reacting to online criticisms against Buhari for receiving some vehicles from the embattled ex-National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, Shehu stated that the President was entitled to what he received.
“Cars are just a few in a litany of entitlements written in that law, although it is contestable to say that General Buhari had been given his due entitlements by successive administrations as provided thereunder. Regime after regime treated him as if he was not a former Head of State.
“The military in particular treated him so badly that its leaders kept silent when the PDP charged that he didn’t have WAEC papers. One shameless Army Records officer said the former Head of State had no records at all under their system.”
Shehu added that Buhari went without a full complement of armed guards from the Army until the April bomb attack on his convoy.
“It was at this time that the Chief of Army Staff (at that time) thought it necessary to reinstate the armed convoy to protect him. When they brought the two cars within a few days of his being bombed, the staff of the General were merely informed that this was from the Federal Government in fulfillment of its obligation to him,” he said.
- NIPOST, FIRS in inter-agency tweetfight over Stamp Duties
- We did not spend N13 billion on school feeding programme – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- State commissioner allegedly assaulted in Cross River over sharing of palliatives
- Alleged N41 Billion Fraud: Tony Elumelu denies allegations, demands apology
- Ondo government spends over N13 billion on workers allowances
- Ogun state government makes COVID-19 test free for returning students
- Planned protest by the Trade Union Congress, ill-advised – Presidency
- “COVID-19 pandemic responsible for sack of pilots” – Air Peace Management confirms NewsWireNGR Exclusive story
- “We are appalled by the worsening security situation” – Nigerian Governors break silence in a letter to President Buhari
- Opinion: The price of under-policing in Nigeria