Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Akwa Ibom House of Assembly has elected a new speaker, following the Court of Appeal’s nullification of the election of the former speaker, Aniekan Uko (PDP- Ibesikpo/Asutan Constituency).
The new speaker, elected on Monday, is Onofiok Luke (PDP-Nsit Ubium Constituency).
Mr. Luke is a two-term state legislator and the immediate past chairman, House Committee on Education.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that 24 members, out of 26 were present during Monday’s session.
In the same vein, the House Deputy Leader, Aniefiok Dennis (PDP-Etinan Constituency) was replaced by Aniekan Bassey (PDP- Uruan Constituency).
The replacement of Mr. Dennis followed the Court of Appeal’s nullification of his election.
The former speaker’s election was nullified a week ago by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja and a re-run ordered.
Speaking with newsmen shortly after the sitting, the new speaker said that he ascribed his emergence to the will of God.
“We ascribe everything that happened today to God. Only God should take glory,” Mr. Luke said.
He promised to work for the unity and progress of the state.
- Foreign affairs minister, Geoffrey Onyeama recovers from COVID-19
- Osun-Osogbo festival 2020 has been cancelled
- Former Abia Governor, Theodore Orji denies ownership of properties investigated by EFCC
- FIRS, NIPOST fight ‘unnecessary and unhelpful’ says FIRS boss as Reps intervene
- DSS invites Obadiah Mailafia for alleging that Governors are sponsoring Boko Haram
- Protesters in Mali are demanding the President’s resignation
- Nigeria is expecting arms shipment from US, China, Jordan says Buhari
- Ondo Election: Sanwo-Olu heads APC campaign committee
- Insurgency: NAF to establish Base, deploy air assets in Gombe
- The Empire Strikes Back: Indian Workers Insist Glo is Doing Everything to Avoid Paying Them