Estimated Reading Time: <1
Embattled ex-Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, is on the verge of leaving her present abode in the United Kingdom for the Commonwealth of Dominica where she has reportedly acquired the citizenship.
According to The Nation Newspaper, Mrs.Alison-Madueke is currently under investigation in Britain for alleged corruption while in office.
Investigators in the UK and Nigeria were shocked by the discovery that she had secretly acquired the citizenship of the small Caribbean country of only 72,000 people.
But sources in the UK said the National Crime Agency (NCA) was already keeping monitoring her movement.
It was learnt that the lid was blown open by some anti-corruption and civil society groups in the UK.
Alison-Madueke’s new citizenship was confirmed in a May 29, 2015 approval letter by the Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Dominica, Roosevelt Skerrit,according to a document obtained by one of the groups.
The letter also claimed that the ex-Minister has been appointed that country’s Trade and Investment Commissioner for the Republic.
Although the letter indicated that the appointment was without salary package, she is expected to help in promoting and marketing Dominica as a trade and investment domicile.
In the diplomatic passport, DP0000445, the Dominican Government said Diezani should be allowed to “pass freely without let or hindrance and afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.”
Issued on May 21, 2015, the diplomatic passport is expected to expire on May 20, 2020.
The granting of citizenship to the ex-Minister, whose passport indicated was born on 6th of December, 1960, has attracted diplomatic concerns.
“I think the NCA is suspecting that she acquired the citizenship of the Commonwealth of Dominica with the intent to relocate to this country. This has opened a fresh bend into our investigation,” a source said last night.
“It is not impossible that she had planned to escape to Dominica ahead of the inauguration of the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari because her appointment ought to be effective from June 1, 2016 for an initial period of three years.
“She has been placed under stricter surveillance in the light of the latest development.
“While the diplomatic aspect is being handled by the appropriate quarters, I can tell you that the NCA is collaborating with many agencies to bring her to account for any allegation against her.
“The NCA is conducting extensive investigation into the oil deals during the tenure of Diezani, irrespective of her ongoing treatment for cancer.”
The International Corruption Unit (ICU) of NCA on October 2 arrested Diezani and four others.
All the suspects are being investigated for alleged bribery and money laundering.
“On Friday, October 2, the National Crime Agency’s recently formed International Corruption Unit arrested five people across London as part of an investigation into suspected bribery and money laundering offences.
“All five people arrested were released on conditional police bail later that evening, pending further investigation both in the UK and overseas.
The investigation commenced in 2013 under the Proceeds of Corruption Unit and transferred to the NCA earlier this year.”
The Press and Public Relations Officer of the British High Commission in Nigeria, Mr. Joe Abuku, had said: “Five people between the age range of 21 and 60 years were arrested by the NCA for bribery and corruption, but they have not given us the details of those involved.”
The EFCC also raided the posh Asokoro residence of the ex-minister and retrieved some documents and expensive jewellery.
One of the clues on the ex-Minister which the EFCC is looking into is the alleged spending of $6.9 million to buy three 40-feet mobile stages for use during mass public speaking events.
The cost of the stages was allegedly inflated and there is no evidence yet that any stage was purchased at all.
It was learnt that the process of procurement of the three mobile stages was neither known to extant Nigerian laws and due process regulations, nor were the offices of the Auditor-General and the Accountant-General of the Federation in the know.
- Northerners met in Kaduna to begin the search for Buhari’s successor
- Breaking: Villagers killed in fresh attacks and reprisals in Kaduna
- Explosives detonated at Governor Wike’s father’s Church in Port Harcourt
- Just In: Borno Governor led residents at Zabarmari for the funeral of 43 farmers beheaded by Boko Haram terrorist
- Breaking: Nigeria’s President Buhari confirms the beheading of 43 Borno rice farmers by Boko Haram
- Former Governor of Ebonyi State, Sen. Sam Egwu has asked security agencies to arrest him
- Update: 43 bodies recovered as Boko Haram terrorists slit throats of Borno farmers
- Federal Housing Authority to publish names of Nigerians indebted to the agency in national dailies – Here’s why
- Breaking: Here are the 2020 candidates that emerged winners of the Future Awards Africa
- Breaking: Boko Haram beheads 43 farmers in Zabarmari, Maiduguri