Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on Thursday sacked six federal lawmakers belonging to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, from Rivers state.
The most high profile casualty was Senator George Sekibo who represents Rivers West senatorial district in the upper chamber of the national assembly.
Sekibo was the chairman of the committee on defence in the 7th senate and a close ally of former President Goodluck Jonathan. He led the unsuccessful charge against the screening and confirmation of former Rivers governor Rotimi Amaechi as minister.
Also sacked by the Appeal Court were Hon. Blessing Nsiegbe who represents Port Harcourt Constituency 2 in the Federal House of Representatives. The court upheld the appeal of the APC’s Collins Owhonda. Others who lost include Kingsley Chinda (Obio/Akpor federal constituency), Boniface Emeremgwa (Ikwerre/Emohua constituency), Bright Gogo (Okrika/Ogu/Bolo federal constituency) and Jerome Amadi (Etche/Omuma federal constituency).
The case between Senator Magnus Abe of APC and Senator Olaka Wogu for Rivers East would be decided on Friday, 11 December by the Court of Appeal.
- Multinational Joint Task Force says Boko Haram is now recruiting child soldiers
- Court adjourns trial of Former AGF Mohammed Adoke, Abubakar
- Multiple port charges escalate cargo delay at terminals – NAGAFF
- How my pastor trafficked me to Russia for prostitution; A hair stylist’s harrowing experience highlights Nigeria’s human trafficking problem
- Breaking: NBC fines Nigeria Info FM N5m over Obadiah Mailaifa interview
- Magu’s lawyer writes probe panel, alleges ‘secrecy’ and violation of rights
- We raised hate speech fine to N5 million because when it was N500,000 people were reckless – Lai Mohammed
- Ooni Of Ife wants #BBNaija reality show replaced
- Police arraign two brothers over Flying Officer Tolu Arotile’s death
- Squeeze out old politicians who want to remain in power perpetually Obasanjo tells Youths