Estimated Reading Time: <1
Senators elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party on Wednesday said they never supported emergence of the President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki.
They said the luck Saraki had was that he was returned unopposed as Senate president. The Senate Minority Leader, Senator Godswill Akpabio, made this known on Thursday.
Akpabio said the PDP caucus staged a walk-out during the confirmation of a former Governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi, and 17 others because they did not want to participate in illegality.
He added that the PDP senators decided not to participate i?n what he described as a “charade confirmation” because they have responsibilities to Nigerians.
According to him: “We never supported Saraki during the election because he was returned unopposed.
“We staged a walk-out because we felt that there is total breach in the law.
“You will notice that our colleagues never wanted to hear our views.”
- Doctors at Kogi Federal Medical Center begin Indefinite strike over armed attack
- Domestic flights to resume July 8 at Lagos, Abuja airports
- Suspended National Broadcasting Commission DG re-arraigned over ‘N2.5 billion fraud
- Lagos airport gets N2.2bn for runway extension
- Former chairperson of NSITF, Ngozi Olejeme, forfeits 48 properties
- Federal government increases petrol price to N143.80
- BudgIT launches open Nigerian states data portal
- National Assembly suspends special public works programme
- Ondo governorship polls; INEC suspends registration of new voters
- Newly released Senator Orji Kalu proposes amendment to criminal justice act