Estimated Reading Time: <1
Head Coach of the Super Eagles, Sunday Oliseh, has said he was shocked when he heard of the sudden retirement of Emmanuel Emenike from the Nigerian national team.
“It was a big shocker for us and a big shocker for me personally… personally, I still don’t accept that he has retired because officially I have not heard anything from him and I don’t think the Federation have also heard from him, only what we know is what was posted on social media,” Oliseh told Sports Radio Brila FM on Wednesday.
Oliseh explained how he has made Emenike part of his rebuilding process and accorded him more playing time than any striker so far under his reign.
“I have made him (Emenike) part of our rebuilding process, in fact he has had more playing time than any striker we have had, so I am very very surprised that he has decided to retire” the Coach said.
“He has not reached me but I have called him twice because immediately I heard this, first I thought it was all these lies on social media so I called him twice yesterday (Tuesday), I am expecting a return call from him, it is when I hear from him that I would fully accept that he is retiring” Oliseh said.
“He is a man. If a man chooses to retire, it should be his decision; if you force him back it could be counterproductive…If truly he retires then it is a shame because we have him pretty much in our rebuilding plan. Be that as it may, I have always said only one thing is irreplaceable and that is Nigeria itself we are all replaceable and that is it,” Oliseh said.
- Cross River Govenor’s aide threatens suicide over unpaid salary
- In Kaduna, bandits have killed no fewer than 18 people in two local government areas
- Nigeria is expecting COVID-19 vaccines from three donor sources – Health Minister
- Kano assembly approves a bill to force premarital testing
- Akeredolu calls for decentralisation of Police
- Just in: Senate approves Bawa’s appointment as new EFCC Chairman
- Auditor-General indicts MDAs on N105.66Billion spending
- Victims of NAF plane crash to be buried on Thursday
- WAEC withholds 70,000 SSCE results in Kano as government default on payment for sponsored students
- Borno Governor confirms 10 dead, 47 injured as he visits victims of Maiduguri attack