Estimated Reading Time: <1
Super Eagles striker Emmanuel Emenike has announced his retirement from international football, making him the second player to do so under Sunday Oliseh’s reign as the Eagles Coach – a decision the striker said he took in-order to avoid insults.
Vincent Enyeama had announced his Eagles retirement after he had fell out with Oliseh who he accused of insulting his dead mom, an accusation the Eagles coach had gone on to deny.
Emenike who currently plays for Al Ain of Dubai on loan from Fenerbahçe took to his Instagram page on Monday night to announce his retirement.
“No more Eagles career! After five great years, I am happy to announce that I have put full-stop to my national team career for the sake of national peace.”, Emenike wrote on his Instagram page.
He continued: “It’s a pleasure for me to have played for this great country. I never regretted it and I think it’s the best time to end it. Million thanks to all the fans who have been very supportive during the good and bad times.
“I am very proud of my performance, I am proud of my team mates and I am very proud of the nation called ‘Nigeria’. My AFCON gold medal is a sign of great achievement, My AFCON topscorer award speaks a lot about my commitment and dedication to the team.”
“Super Eagles is a camp not a family house, and it shouldn’t be a threat zone for any individual.
- Propsed bill to require operators of lottery, pools, betting companies to pay N20 million license fee in Lagos
- Federal Government to deduct illegal mining fees from states’ allocations
- NiMET management appeal staff to shelve planned strike
- Victor Ejechi: Nigeria added 7,999 PhD holders to the unemployment market in 21 months
- Traders told me the story about northern governor leading Boko Haram says Mailafia
- Rights group writes US, Buhari, Ganduje, condemns religious policing in Nigeria
- NJC releases list of nominees for Supreme Court appointments
- Resume or be sacked, Ebonyi government threatens striking workers
- DSS to clamp down on notable personalities and groups who incite a breakdown of law and order
- Ogun State Government suspends lockdown