Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party has said it is wrong for anyone to abuse or insult President Muhammadu Buhari.
The PDP, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh in Abuja on Wednesday, congratulated the citizens for keeping faith in the Nigerian project and working together in building a strong nation and one of the fastest growing economies in the world.
It said this while charging Nigerians to use the occasion of the nation’s 55th Independence Anniversary to rekindle the spirit of patriotism, asking the citizens to exhibit actions that promote democratic ideals and peaceful co-existence at all levels in the country.
The party said the occasion reminded Nigerians of their common root and destiny as well as the country’s resilience and determination to succeed in all spheres of life as a strong, united and prosperous nation, irrespective of her challenges.
It urged Nigerians to use the anniversary to recommit to respecting their leaders at the local government, state and national levels, while paying adequate reverence to national symbols and institutions.
The party added, “In this regard, the PDP urges all citizens to have full respect for the office and person of the symbol of the leadership of our great country, the President.
“The President can be constructively criticised, but under no circumstance should he be abused or insulted in any way and under any guise whatsoever.
“On this note therefore, we expect those around our dear President to be cautious and desist from actions and utterances that tend to set him up for public ridicule.”
The PDP congratulated the nation on its giants strides since independence, especially within the 16 years under the PDP led-administration, during which he said enviable milestones were recorded in critical sectors of the polity.
It commended the military for the success recorded in the fight against insurgency in the country, while commiserating with all those affected by the senseless acts of terrorism and violence.
- Breaking: Tribunal rejects party’s request to join petition in Bayelsa governorship dispute
- Salawa Abeni’s 19 year old blackmailer has been arrested
- “Aboki” and the dangers of othering in Nigeria
- FG begins ‘systematic maintenance’ of Lagos bridges & drains
- 9 contractors made the shortlist for Fourth Mainland Bridge – Hamzat
- $18.34 million paid as ransom between June 2011 & March 2020: Inside Nigeria’s lucrative kidnap industry
- Allegations of corruption against the National assembly smacks of cheap blackmail – Sen Ajibola Bashiru
- Telecom firms now to pay N1 per km for Right Of Way (RoW) in Kwara
- Ebonyi to shut down some of its social media groups from June 2
- Breaking: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria exceeds 10,000