Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari is scheduled to meet with members of the House of Representatives elected under the All Progressives Congress (APC) today, in an effort to resolve the lingering leadership struggle among them.
According to Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant (Media and Publicity) to the President, who confirmed this to State House correspondents in Abuja, on Sunday, the meeting would take place inside the new Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa at 5.00 p.m.
The meeting is coming after a visit to the Villa on Friday by embattled former minority leader in the House, Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila, who was there ostensibly to seek audience with President Buhari over the crisis.
The Lagos State member of the House came unaccompanied and walked straight to the direction of the president’s office but returned shortly after.
It was not certain whether he was able to meet the president, as he declined to speak with waiting State House correspondents.
Gbajabiamila narrowly lost his bid to become speaker of the House of Representatives to Yakubu Dogara, despite being the favoured for the post by his party, APC
His bid to become the leader of the House was also being resisted by the House leadership, which was reported to have zoned the position to the North West, effectively knocking out the Lagos lawmaker.
The House leadership has, however, conceded the position to a member of the Ghajabiamila group, who must be from the North-West in order to maintain the federal character principle in the appointment of principal officers of the House.
- Buhari’s Fuji house of commotion
- Abike Dabiri accuses Minister, Ali Pantami of driving her staff out of NCC property –
- Buhari “regime” is pursuing political annihilation of the South – group alleges
- Two new cases of coronavirus recorded in Enugu State
- Social distancing was not fully enforced during the Eid prayers in Kano
- Nigeria confirms 265 new cases of COVID-19, totalling 7,526
- In Borno State Governor Zulum Attends Eid Prayers While Social Distancing
- President Buhari Celebrates Eid-El-Fitr Privately Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- Eid-el-Fitr: NSCDC Deploys 500 Officers In Yobe
- Kaduna State Healthcare Workers Begin 7-Day Warning Strike