Estimated Reading Time: <1
An Ikeja High Court on Wednesday sentenced a 33-year-old bricklayer, Taoreed Oseni, to 12 years imprisonment for raping an 18-year-old hawker at a public toilet.
News Agency Of Nigeria reports that Oseni was sentenced after being found guilty of a one count of rape by Justice Sedoten Ogunsanya.
While sentencing Oseni, Ogunsanya said “I hereby sentence the accused to 12 years imprisonment without an option of fine.
“The sentence will take effect from Aug. 2, 2012, which is the date the accused has been in prison custody,” he said.
The prosecution, led by the state counsel, Mr. Adebayo Haroun, had told the court during the trial that the convict actually committed the offence.
Haroun said Oseni committed the offence sometime in July 2012 at a public toilet at the Mafoluku Area of Oshodi, Lagos.
He said the convict lured her to the back of a public toilet by telling her that her friend wanted to see her.
“When she got to the back of the toilet, the convict overpowered her by breaking a bottle on her head.
“The convict then forcefully have carnal knowledge of the victim despite her plea and cry for help,” Haroun said.
He said the offence violated Section 258 (1) of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2011.
- Edo Elections: PDP picks Nyesom Wike as campaign chairman
- Governor Abdulrazaq reshuffles cabinet
- LASG announces partial reopening of schools
- Kogi Governor appoints acting Chief Judge
- Bauchi Governor suspends Emir of Misau
- APC plans to use Ganduje, Yahyah Bello and Uzodinma to derail Edo election – PDP
- Stamp duty will now be paid on house rent and C of O – FIRS
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud
- Plateau State Chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19