Estimated Reading Time: <1
An Ikeja High Court on Wednesday sentenced a 33-year-old bricklayer, Taoreed Oseni, to 12 years imprisonment for raping an 18-year-old hawker at a public toilet.
News Agency Of Nigeria reports that Oseni was sentenced after being found guilty of a one count of rape by Justice Sedoten Ogunsanya.
While sentencing Oseni, Ogunsanya said “I hereby sentence the accused to 12 years imprisonment without an option of fine.
“The sentence will take effect from Aug. 2, 2012, which is the date the accused has been in prison custody,” he said.
The prosecution, led by the state counsel, Mr. Adebayo Haroun, had told the court during the trial that the convict actually committed the offence.
Haroun said Oseni committed the offence sometime in July 2012 at a public toilet at the Mafoluku Area of Oshodi, Lagos.
He said the convict lured her to the back of a public toilet by telling her that her friend wanted to see her.
“When she got to the back of the toilet, the convict overpowered her by breaking a bottle on her head.
“The convict then forcefully have carnal knowledge of the victim despite her plea and cry for help,” Haroun said.
He said the offence violated Section 258 (1) of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2011.
- Opinion: The price of under-policing in Nigeria
- Candidate in the NBA elections, Dele Adesina, seeks election cancellation
- Just In: Ekiti workers suspend warning strike
- ‘Oshiomhole seeking the third term as a governor’ by proxy – Edo State Deputy Governor
- Oyewole Michael: One year after, will Dadiyata ever be found?
- NDDC Management denies fresh corruption allegations in new statement
- Lagos Chamber of Commerce says NIPOST guidelines must be removed
- WAEC is deliberately creating a wedge between young Muslims and the mosque says MURIC
- After 15 years, Shoprite considers ending its Nigeria operations
- In Ogun state, parents reject N25,000 COVID-19 test levy for returning students