Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Federal Government has declared Friday, July 17 and Monday, July 20 as public holidays to mark this year’s Eid-el-Fitr celebration.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Mr Abubakar Magaji, made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.
The statement, signed by the Ministry’s Director of Press, Mr Yusuf Isiaka, called for prayers for the nation as Muslims celebrate successful completion of the holy month of Ramadan.
He urged Muslims in particular and Nigerians in general to extend the spiritual benefits of Ramadan, which include love, peace and sacrifice, to the development of the nation.
He also urged Nigerians to remain steadfast and law abiding as the Federal Government worked to evolve peaceful and virile nation.
“While wishing Nigerians a happy celebration, we also urge them to support the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari in his determination to build a peaceful, united and virile nation,’’ he added.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that it is the norm in Islam for Muslims to look out for the new moon of Shawwal at the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
He, therefore, urged Muslims to look out for the new moon to determine the actual day for Eid-el-Fitr celebration.
If the new moon is sighted on Thursday, Muslims in the country will join their colleagues across the world to celebrate Eid-el-Fitr on Friday.
However, if the new moon is not sighted on Thursday, Muslims will have to fast on Friday and the Eid will be celebrated on Saturday.
- House of representatives has withdrawn the water resources bill – here’s why
- Nigerian Senators reject Buhari’s nominee as PENCOM DG
- Nigeria’s 2020 budget has suffered a loss of over $14 billion – Senate President
- P&ID: UK Court orders release of $200 million deposit to Nigeria
- Nigeria@60: Federal Government declares October 1 Public holiday
- Buhari asks NASS for N147 billion refund for Ondo, four other states
- Convoy attack: Borno NASS members visit Zulum in Maiduguri
- ICPC should publish names of persons associated with missing school feeding funds – Minister
- Arewa Consultative Forum caution Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to watch his utterances
- 300 Rice Farmers in Cross River protest unpaid salaries