Estimated Reading Time: <1
Governor Nasir El-Rufai, on Thursday, said he would institute legal action against The Union newspapers over a story in which it claimed the governor declared N90 billion as his asset.
A statement by the governor’s media aide, Mr Samuel Aruwan in Kaduna, described the report as the work of “irresponsible hacks”.
“Malam Nasir El-Rufai is dismayed by the blatant falsehood being practiced as journalism by The Union newspapers.
He has consequently directed his legal team to vigorously enforce his rights to protect his reputation from the vandalism of irresponsible hacks.
“The Union chose to write a spurious story alleging N90b as his assets declaration without seeing the declaration made by Malam El Rufai.”
The statement said the governor would not succumb to any form of blackmail and would pursue the matter in order to protect his integrity.
“Fair minded people who read the story will notice that it is not grounded in any evidence. It is just the animus of blackmailers who regard Malam Nasir El-Rufai as easy prey.
“But since his reputation is not based on purchased kudos, he cannot be compelled into accommodation with venal people masquerading as journalists.
“Malam Nasir El-Rufai is a privileged Nigerian. He qualified as a chartered Quantity Surveyor early in life and became a dollar millionaire in his twenties.
“He is a respected leader in his professional field but as successful as he has been in his career, he certainly has neither N90 billion nor 40 mansions.
“He will not be distracted from his total focus of making Kaduna great again. In this endeavour, he will continue to be accessible to practitioners of responsible journalism,” the statement said.
- Coronavirus infections in Nigeria increased with 8,733 confirmed cases
- Federal Government set to release guidelines on school reopening
- Three proposed COVID-19 herbal cures identified for further investigation – FG
- Ekiti Assembly passes Tourism, Hospitality Licensing and Regulation Bill
- FG to amend National Endowment for the Arts Act
- Trading resumes in NSE after Eid-el-Fitr celebration with 0.07% growth
- Radio stations fined for violations against the Nigerian Broadcasting code
- Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media after Twitter labelled two of his tweets “unsubstantiated”
- Breaking: In Edo State, Ize-Iyamu collects APC governorship form, and Governor Obaseki speaks
- “We dried our tears” – 17-year-old girl who escaped Boko Haram after being abducted and held in captivity for four years described life in the Sambisa forest